YASPP (Yet another serial port problem)

Cassidy Lynar cassidy at attctc.Dallas.TX.US
Tue Dec 26 16:16:22 AEST 1989

Hi, I am having problems *still* trying to bring up a third serial port
on my system. I have spoke with Hollis, and with the Santa Monica office as
well, but nobody can figure out what the problem is. A bit of history:
I am running ISC 2.0.2 with the X5 update installed. I have 2 internal
modems setup using the standard irq and addresses for com1 and com2. My
third serial card is setup to use irq5, and the address is set to that of
a com3 port. I have included my /etc/conf/sdevice.d/asy entry:

asy 	Y	1	7	1	4	3f8 	3ff	0	0
asy	Y	1	7	1	3	2f8	2ff	0	0
asy	Y	1	7	1	5	3e8	3ef	0	0
asy	N	1	7	1	7	2e8	2ef	0	0

Now as for the third I/O board, (I forget the make) it has jumpers that
allow to PHYSICALLY change the addresses from 3f8 to 3e8 and the irq from
4 to 5. I also tried to as ISC put it, "fake the kconfig" and modified the
/etc/conf/pack.d/space.c and changed the entry to:
	ASY_3_SIOA+6,	/* foo..... */
	ASY_5_VECT,	/* more foo */

and rebuilt the kernel (this is the second time, the first attempt was
not using a modifed space.c.

Ok, here is the actual problem, the kernel builds fine, getty spawns
fine, but the probs are 1) the getty process becomes a non-killable process
			2) when I cat foo >> /dev/tty02, the terminal on the
other end, receives the data at a smoking 1 cps or less. I know that the
terminal is fine, as I used it at work before bringing it home, and I also
know that the card and modems do not conflict, as I have no troubles at all
when I boot a DOS communications package, and use a modem on the third port.
It seems all too clear that there is an unresolved bug still at large in the
asy driver supplied with the X5 update. Upon further communications with ISC
i am told that any new bug fixes will be released in the next version only,
so it seems that the owners of 2.0.2 are screwed, unless they fork up more
money to buy the upgrade when its released. To me, and these are my personal
feelings only, I have no reasons to trust that the next version will be any
better. The track record of these (2.0.2) release are horrible. If ISC wants
to continue the relationship with my company, as a reseller of their product,
then they had best make some "special packages" available to those of us who
have had to suffer with their product and the bugs that live in it.

							Cassidy Lynar
						Vice President, Zen Computer
						CEO, Computer Research, Inc
							Dallas, Texas