Setting up a public access system (help!)

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.UUCP
Mon Dec 25 10:01:25 AEST 1989

> I thought AKCS is excellent conference bbs system on interfacing between
> usenet news and mail but this is NOT really good file management at all.
> At present version, AKCS does not use real filename at all and it is
> just converting to message filename using process number.  It is near
> impossible to find the right filename.  Also it is not easy to look for
> file for filetransfer from inside bbs.  AKCS does not link any usenet mail
> and this can use up alot of disk spaces.   I do really like AKCS but I am
> still looking for more improvement on this bbs.  I am running both XBBS and
> AKCS.

Willy - I agree with you to a point - the way AKCS appends file attachments
to messages can be "abnormal" based on the way other bulletin board packages
have a file area with the traditional downloading areas - but for the user
who hasn't seen some of the other systems - I think AKCS offers a more
logical choice.  Couldn't you exit AKCS to a script and from there offer
your users another way to transfer files?

How about using the ELBS option as a file database?

--
Larry Snyder, Northern Star Communications, Notre Dame, IN
uucp: root at nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!root