Cyrix FasMath CX-83D87 80387 replacement with 386/Unix

Joseph Sarkes joe at junkyard.UUCP
Fri Dec 1 10:13:04 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov29.215150.53 at jdyx.UUCP>, tpf at jdyx.UUCP (Tom Friedel) writes:
> Has anyone used this chip with 386/ix?  From the manual, "Cyrix
> CX-83D87 is a CMOS VLSI integrated circuit that is pin compatible
> and software compatible with the 80387, yet ... achieves 4 to 10
> times greater performance ... by implementing floating point primitives

I've read an article on this chip, and the real performance improvement
was supposed to be in the transcendental functions being from 5 to 10
times faster, and generally 1.2 to 3 times faster overall. It also has
a memory mapped interface capability ala weitek, but this is undoubtably
not supported by any available motherboards at this time. My question is
are these chips available, where, and for how much. See the november 1989
issue of High Performance magazine (the only place I've seen any info on
this chip) for a good writeup on the differences between it and the 387.

Joseph Sarkes	(junkyard!joe)