Questions on X11 xterm and termcaps

Eric Johnson erc at pai.UUCP
Thu Dec 14 04:58:59 AEST 1989

I'm rather new to Interactive's 386/ix UNIX for the PC, and
I'm sure some of you have solved this problem:

1) I use X11 as my standard interface.
2) In the C shell, csh, using xterm, when the TERM variable is
set to "xterm", I find vi does NOT like the arrow keys
on my PC/AT keyboard at all.

If I use a TERM set to "vt100", the arrow keys are just hunky-dory, but
the vi editor will not scroll down text when a line is inserted.

Both situations make text editing no fun.  I'm new to both
termcap (used by vi, I belive) and terminfo, but I am aware of
their basic concepts.  Does anyone have a good termcap entry
(or a terminfo entry if the 386/ix vi uses terminfo) that
solves this problem?  Its annoying enough that I am sure others
have solved it.  Unfortunately, my boss installed the software
(I'm using his machine as a loaner), so I'm not sure of all
the set-up options that were used.  The Release notes list the
version as 2.0 (First printing Dec 88), with UNIX System V/R3.2.

I'd appreciate any help on this,
thanks,
-Eric

--
Eric F. Johnson, Boulware Technologies, Inc.
415 W. Travelers Trail, Burnsville, MN 55337 USA.  Phone: +1 612-894-0313.