Memory requirements for 386/ix

Martin Weitzel martin at mwtech.UUCP
Tue Dec 12 20:27:01 AEST 1989

In article <1629 at mcneild> mcneild at mcneild (Doug McNeil) writes:
[some stuff deleted]
>If you just want to use your system for mail it is possible that 2MB might
>suffice. For any significant NFS work 4MB would be required and 8MB plus would
>be nice.

Regarding the low memory prices, I'd not recommend to use 386/ix with
less then 4MB, though it runs with 2MB.

I've used it this way in the beginning and could never understand, why
people did tell great storys about it - it seemed incredible slow to me.
Then, after upgrading to 4MB, things changed dramatically!

FYI: I'm the only user on a ACER S/32-20, ESDI-Disk (140MB), neither
NFS, nor X11; frequently compiling and using ELAN's 'eroff'. Except
for the documentation (which is promised to get better with 2.2) I'm
rather content with my configuration.

Martin Weitzel