Memory requirements for 386/ix

Greyham Stoney greyham at hades.OZ
Tue Dec 12 03:35:09 AEST 1989

in article <828 at rsiatl.UUCP>, jgd at rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) says:
> With 20 users I presume you are connecting these in through an Ethernet?
> I hope so.  4 or 5 users on TTY logins is pushing it pretty far on this
> 20 mhz machine.  If you are installing Ethernet, you must use an intelligent
> card such as the Interlan unit supported by ISC.  I've used this card and
> can report that it performs very well.  In general, you want to avoid
> creating interrupts on the PC bus.  I've determined that it is almost
> essential to have intelligence in anything that handles a datastream.

Make sure you get the Intelligent card though. The Interlan NI5210 (which is
a "dumb" card) does NOT work with NFS; we've tried and tried, and always
met with failure. We haven't tried the intelligent card (as John evidently
has, with much success); all I can say is that the NI5210 don't work.
Interactive have confirmed this as follows:

% From pyramid!oliveb!ism780c!ism780b!386ixsup at murtoa.cs.mu.oz Thu Nov 23 19:36:39 1989