Looking for smart serial ports for Unix

Scott O'Connell scotto at crash.cts.com
Fri Dec 15 11:45:50 AEST 1989

In article <511083 at nstar.UUCP> larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>> Also I hope Arnet and other manufacturers will listen our comments on
>> making ports better and more reliable.  Thank you for your time with
>> your commnets...  I have not decide on buying next multi-ports yet...

I've finally given up on Arnet.  I spent hours on the phone trying to convince
them that their product didn't handle modem control signals correctly.  It
was finally acknowledged that they had a problem IN SEPTEMBER.  I know I'm
not the only person who noticed that DTR doesn't always cycle, and CD
isn't always recognized, but Arnet kept the attitide that *I WAS THE ONLY
PERSON IN THE WORLD WITH THIS PROBLEM*!  I have been promised the new drivers
3 times since they [I] identified the problem.  Each time the deadline comes
I have to call again to get a new release date.

I find it interesting how so many USERS report the SAME problems to a
vendor, and how the vendor can claim "Jeeze, it must be something you're
doing wrong!"  I'm tired of spending hours of the phone explaining the
problem over and over and over and then finding out another user has
just described the same symtoms to them.  Am I being unreasonable?  Am
I starting to take these problems personally?  Maybe.

In all fairness to Arnet, I just wrote a letter to the tech support
manager stating my dissatisfaction.  I would appreciate all of you having
similar problems to do likewise.  It only took me 15 minutes and I'm
hoping it will at least bring managements attention to the problems.

I need to expand my operation to 15 ports and was looking at their 16 port
board.  Now I'm looking for something else.  I installed an Equinox MegaPort
the other day and am initially impressed.  Regardless, Arnet will not get
any more business from me or my associates.

--
Scott O'Connell		UUCP: {nosc, ucsd, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!ipars!scotto
			ARPA: crash!ipars!scotto at nosc.mil
			INET: scotto at ipars.cts.com