Installation of Wangtek tape drive for AT&T 3.2.1 Unix

Randy Suess randy at chinet.chi.il.us
Fri Dec 29 04:39:00 AEST 1989

In article <891 at trlluna.trl.oz> nduong at rhea.trl.oz.au (Nguyen Duong - Integrated Communication Services) writes:

>Can somebody tell me how to add a Wangtek tape to AT&T 3.2.1? The manuals
>seem to suggest that support for that device is built in. However a search
>through the /dev directory shows that the device special files are not
>there.
>N.Duong,
>Telecom Research Labs.

	Unlike other 386 UNIXs, AT&T requires you to purchase as a
	seperate product everything you need to use the system.
	One of those is the "Cartridge Tape Utilities".  Now, another
	nice thing is that the driver only supports AT&T's version of
	the Wangtek controller.  Same with mice.  You need to buy
	the mouse driver disk, and it only supports AT&T's 3 button
	bus mouse (actually, a Logitech mouse).
	I have used the wt drivers from i386 to run a generic Wantek
	tape drive under AT&T, but it is not fun.

	Switching to i386 was well worth the expense.

	-randy

--
Randy Suess
randy at chinet.chi.il.us