Tape backups over TCP/IP (was Re: ISC update)

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Mon Dec 25 16:31:10 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec22.151132.19349 at antel.uucp> mike at antel.uucp (Michael Borza) writes:
>In article <1989Dec20.184947.3562 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl at mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>>                                                We have a problem with NFS
>>which they say will be "fixed in the next release" -- even though it's a
>>one-line patch, and we NEED it (root mapping cannot be turned off in ISC's
>>NFS, and there is no tape server -- be wary of this if you intend to do
>>backups across the net as this currently appears to be IMPOSSIBLE!)
>
>In the meantime, is it not possible to do your backup over raw TCP/IP? I
>don't know whether NFS interferes with TCP/IP (I'd be surprised if it
>did, but I've never run NFS).  Over TCP/IP, we use something like the
>following (run as root on the machine being backed up):
>
>  # find . -depth -print | cpio -oc | \
>    su bin -c "/usr/ucb/rsh tape_machine dd ibs=1024k obs=1024k of=/dev/tape"

Yes, but that won't handle multiple volumes (which is a pain).

We have found that afio (after Les's post) will do the job.  It's not
perfect, but it does work.

>I realize this isn't exactly what you want, but isn't it a least a
>suitable workaround?  (This, of course, completely ignores what I
>think is the real, albeit unstated, point of Karl's postings on this
>subject: that ISC doesn't fix bugs fast enough to suit him.  My apologies
>if I've insulted you or gotten this wrong in some way, Karl.)

Actually ISC hasn't been bad on the response lately.  My prior experience
with them was not nearly as fulfilling.  It appears that they are paying
more attention to the customer's needs these days (our last experience with
them was 6-8 months back).

Now if they could just get a proper terminfo entry in their distribution :-)

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]