getty..not hanging up

Ron Stanions sauron at dsoft.UUCP
Sat Dec 30 20:00:45 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec29.151924.6810 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl
Denninger) writes:
>In article <NSSGK+ at utower.gopas.sub.org> fischer at utower.gopas.sub.org writes:
>>tim at comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes:
>>
>>>What would cause getty to *sometimes* not hang up the phne when a user
>>>logs off?  ...

Well, I've usually found that somehow the 'hupcl' flag in stty got
unset.  any process run from the login shell that uses ioctl() to play
with stdin/out can do this to you.  Also, as mentioned before, when a program
is running and any portion of it is still attached to stdin/out (eg, a
program shelled with '&' loses stdin, but not stdout) that too will
probably prevent DTR from dropping on the modem, since when you hang up,
you won't be the last close to the i/o.  (Note that some of these things
I say here are educated guesses concerning stdin/out, and not hardcore fact.)

If you get a situation that's consistant, try typing 'stty hupcl' just before
you disconnect (or stty -a to view params and see if hupcl is set or
not), or if you have any tasks running, shell them off AND redirect their
output to /dev/null or somesuch.

--
 Ron Stanions -- sauron at dsoft     \_/\--/\_/     All things posted by me are
  dsoft system administrator       < \  / >     by-products of a deranged mind