bug in csh and problem with rsh in ISC 386/ix

The Imaginative Moron paul at dialogic.UUCP
Tue Dec 5 08:01:26 AEST 1989

In article <1888 at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu> fritzz at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (fritz zaucker) writes:
>There are two rsh commands, one is the restricted shell /bin/rsh, the other
>is /usr/ucb/rsh for a remote shell. I found that out when I changed the
>search order of my path to search /bin first and then /usr/ucb. The manual
>says that one should link /usr/ucb/rsh to another name like rshell, ok that's
>a way to do it, but it is somehow not standard and people used to Suns
>would not be able to guess the new name.

It also won't work.  The standard (Berkeley) interpretation of this is
that when the rsh binary is run as a program not named "rsh" (i.e.  with
argv[0] something other than "rsh") it takes argv[0] as a machine name
to connect to.  Thus you can link "rsh" to "dialogic" and type

	$ dialogic ps -ae

to get the same effect as

	$ rsh dialogic ps -ae

I simply make sure that /usr/ucb is before /usr/bin in PATH.  People
don't often run /bin/rsh directly - it's usually done by login - so you
could do it in /etc/profile if you want.  It's a bit confusing when you
get the PATH wrong, tho'

You might also consider calling /bin/rsh /bin/Rsh ...

Incidently, the Interlan Board-based TCP/IP stuff gets around this by
calling it "rshl" - which is a real pain if you're used to typing "rsh".
We have both, so the problem is dynamic.  I use an ksh alias in my
.profile for when I'm on one of these systems.

--
Paul Bennett	      |  			| "I give in, to sin, because
Dialogic Corp.	      |   paul at dialogic.UUCP	|  You have to make this life