Does anyone have 386SX Unix benchmarks?

Bob Marrow bobm at acsdev.uucp
Tue Dec 19 09:26:55 AEST 1989

I'm thinking of putting together a Unix system around one
of the new cheap 386SX boards.  Does anyone have actual
measurements of the speed of these boards running 32-bit
protected mode software, as compared with the 386DX?
I have seen a lot of MS-DOS timings (semi-worthless, since
they tend to be of 16-bit 286 programs) and speculative
flames that the SX is sure to be much slower because of
its 16-bit memory bus (also worthless, I'm looking for
hard numbers).  I remember seeing a reference to an article
on this subject in MIPS magazine a few months ago but have
not been able to get my hands on a copy.  If someone
has it, can s/he e-mail me a summary of the results or post
them to the net?  Thanks much.