rlogin problem with ISC 386/ix

martin.j.shannon mjs at cbnews.ATT.COM
Tue Dec 5 06:53:46 AEST 1989

In article <1887 at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu> fritzz at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (fritz zaucker) writes:
>I am running into troubles with rlogin.
>
>1) I run more on a large file and it is fine.
>   I run more on a file with less lines than the screen size. It is NOT fine.
>   It outputs a part of the file and that's it. Each time I try it I get
>   different amounts of the file. I can cat the file without problems.
>   ??????

I've seen a similar situation on many machines (none of which I've had
source code available for).  The behavior is as though the ioctl used
by "more" to toggle between cbreak and cooked mode is TCSETAF instead
of TCSETAW.  What you're seeing is that the "F" (flush) has happened
before rlogin's remote read drains "more"'s output queue.

[I have no clues on your problem #2.]

>Thanks a lot
>Fritz Zaucker
>
>P.S.: Problem 1) occurs no matter if I am rloging in from the console or
>      from a X11 xterm.

Given my hypothesis, it should happen either way.

	Marty Shannon
--
Marty Shannon; AT&T Bell Labs; Liberty Corner, NJ
(Affiliation given for identification only.)