Ethernet interface recommendation please.

Steven Edward Watt swatt at cup.portal.com
Tue Dec 12 18:06:57 AEST 1989

Dale at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu writes:
>	I'm looking for a recommendation for an ethernet card to replace
>the 3Com 3C501 card in my Dolch 386/20. I'm running ISC 2.0.1 and am
>having significant problems (the OS looses all notion that it is connected
>to a network eventually, requires rebooting to clear.)  (I'v not been
>able to get any kind of resolution to this problem from ISC.)

  I suspect this is a problem with the OS and not the ethernet board.

>[deletion about expected problems]
>
>	However, before I buy new hardware, I'd like to know what I
>can expect. The goal is to have reasonable NFS and X11 performance. I've got
>a 150 mb ESDI disk on a wd-1007 controller and 4mb of memory. No coprocessor,
>(yet) I'm still watching the prices fall.
>
>	I've been getting about 15 K bytes per second throughput (as reported
>by ftp) between my Doch (3C501) and my local Masscomp or Sun.  I would like
>to see 50K bytes/sec which I don't think is unreasonable, but.....

  Using a Western Digital WD8003E board, I am able to pull about 44k-50k
to/from my SCO Unix system V.3...  To & from DOS.  almost 80k to/from ULTRIX.
My system is otherwise normal:  WD1006 1:1 ST506 hard disk controller, 19ms
120mb drive, etc...

  SCO also supports the 3c501, but I don't have any numbers on that one.

>Thanks in advance.

No problem.
>Dale
Steve Watt
...!claris!zok!wattres!steve       steve at wattres.UUCP (if you trust your UUCP
or  swatt at cup.portal.com                               router...)

-- I don't work for SCO, I think their products are moderately good, and
   unfortunately, I think they're the best in this market, currently...