Still Waiting for Inode fixes, ZZZZZZZZ

Chuck Forsberg caf at omen.UUCP
Thu Dec 7 18:36:01 AEST 1989

In article <257cf96c:240.6comp.unix.i386;1 at nstar.UUCP> akcs.larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
:>The *correct* answer to the question can be found in
:>any System V System Administrators Reference Manual:
:
:Let's be nice now - I've based my information on what I heard
:when I called ISC technical support - and I was told that under System V
:the inode allocation could not be changed.  Under SCO, using the manual I
:changed the number of inodes using mkfs.   I was just relaying information
:that I received from the folks who did the port.

Both answers are correct.  Mkfs since V7 or before can be told
how many inodes to make in a new FS.  But I know of no way to
increase the number of inodes on an existing file system.