Shells (was: job control in 386/ix?)

Pim Zandbergen pim at cti-software.nl
Sat Dec 9 03:22:10 AEST 1989

garyb at crpmks.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) writes:

>For those of you who are interested, Mortice Kern Systems, the makers of
>the MKS Toolkit for DOS has a Korn Shell available for both SCO and
>ISC *NIX.

I have worked with both MKS's ksh and the Aspen Korn Shell.
I prefer the latter. the MKS korn shell is their own implementation
of the Korn Shell ; the Aspen is based on AT&T sources.

The MKS ksh is full of bugs. Lots of shell scripts in /bin and /usr/bin
fail with this product. MKS ksh cannot handle filenames of exactly
14 characters long, it thinks all filenames in directories are
null-terminated. I suspect they ported their DOS ksh to *nix
instead of the other way round.

I did not even bother to look for other bugs.

The Aspen Korn Shell works just fine for me.
It only displays a copyright message if it is invoked with -ksh
(ie login shell).

Note that you still need ksh source for job control,
because currently these ksh's are not compiled with
job control enabled.

Disclaimer: this is just my opinion.
Pim Zandbergen                           domain : pim at cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                          uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim
Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70            phone  : +31 70 3542302
2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands       fax    : +31 70 3512837