Use a 386 unix as a home machine?

ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 25 06:21:44 AEST 1989

In article <207 at comcon.UUCP> tim at comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes:

>I would never buy unix specifically to run DOS.  You buy unix because it
>is better and use the capability to run DOS to get over the addiction.
>Bottom line, what could you need DOS for that unix can't do better
>anyway?   Put a litle more diplomatically, If you *really* want to be
>ablt to run DOS, with no strings attached in so far as compatibility is
>concerned, run DOS.

Current versions of VP/ix or Dos Merge do a very good job at running
DOS from a 386 Unix. There are a few good reason to do it. Software
availability, cross-development, multiple DOS sessions.

There is a complicating factor however. With all the 386 specific
software (using DOS extenders) coming out you still have to keep a DOS
partition available in your system. VP/ix and DOS Merge won't run "DOS
extended" applications, to run them you have to bbot from DOS.