Taking risks on software (ISC)

kirk moore kmoore at shiloh.UUCP
Sun Dec 3 14:55:00 AEST 1989

I have had it. I read this group not for the complainers and babies, but to see how others deal with the problems that crop up from time to time. I work on a AS 400, and let me tell you, with 6 million lines of code for the operating system, it is none to perfect.

Larry: If you dont like to product and the people, stop you complaining, throw the product up on the self and go to SCO, or Intel. I have just read that they have released a version Unix. I have but one favor to ask, please SHUT UP. I have enough.

To Eveyone Else: Please forgive the flame. I have read with alot of interest, the comments of this room. If this is a grip room, please let me know and I will drop the room. I have never seen so many complaints about a product. If when we had upgraded from the System 38 to the As400, we had complained as much as some in this room, I have no reason to believe IBM would have taken the AS400 home.

I have found that with any peice of software there are going to be problems, but I have fun working them out and then sharing the results with others that are interested. Even MS-DOS in all its simpleness has bugs. Yet we work around then and create patches that fix the problem. I could tell horror stories about operating systems that had bugs, but whats the use. I just have a feeling that some would complain if the product had come out perfect and no bugs were found at all. Such is life.....

Kmoore