UUCP won't cooperate

Paul Gillingwater paul at csnz.co.nz
Wed Dec 13 08:12:57 AEST 1989

hi,
I'm having trouble with UUCP for collecting news for a new system
that I'm setting up.  I poll my local backbone every hour, using
my ISC 2.0.1 HDB uucico.  All permissions, etc. are fine, and
any e-mail seems to come over without problems.  When transmitting
a large news packet however, the uucp protocol seems to break.

Looking at my modem TX and RX lights, I see that my end will
happily receive 7 packets, each of which is ack'ed, then it
won't ack the last one.  This causes a pause, then the other end
will retry, and it seems to start from the first packet again.

Viewing a uutry with -x9 seems to confirm this behaviour.  Plus,
the debug info gives several alarms, i.e. alarm 1, alarm 2, alarm 3,
etc.  I've TFRM'ed extensively, and although I've set up several
successful uucp connections, this one has me baffled.  What
is causing the alarms?  The serial port is just a standard 8250,
running on a 386/33 MHz box.  The modem is only 1200 bps, so
I don't think any buffers are overflowing.  COuld it be something
to do with ISC's kernal fix X5?  I've requested that, as well
as the 2.0.2 update, but not yet received them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Domain: paul at csnz.co.nz  Bang: uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul
Call Magic Tower BBS V21/23/22/22bis 24 hrs NZ+64 4 767 326
SpringBoard BBS for Greenies! V22/22bis/HST NZ+64 4 896 016