Use a 386 unix as a home machine?

Chip Rosenthal chip at chinacat.Lonestar.ORG
Wed Dec 27 03:17:12 AEST 1989

karl at mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>>[re: HP LJ IIP printer]
>Especially if you don't mind doing a little hacking.  I understand that the
>IIP can take LZW compressed input

Hmmm...you might have something here.  The IIP adds the command:

    #   Set Compression Mode
    #
    #       Determines how raster data is interpreted when transferred.
    #
    #       <ESC> * b # M
    #
    #   	# = 0  -  Unencoded
    #   	    1  -  Run-length encoding
    #   	    2  -  Tagged Image File Format (TIFF) rev. 4.0

I don't have the techinical manual for the IIP.  If anybody out there does,
how about posting some info on the compression formats?

Another *very* nice thing about the IIP:  it adds a "font rotate" command
so that you don't need separate portrait and landscape fonts, and more
fonts were stuffed into the unused space.  If you are stuck with nroff,
this is a good deal, because you can now get roman, italic, and bold in
10 chars/in and 12 chars/in courrier without buying additional cartridges.

The thing is slooooowww (4 pages/min), but overall a good deal.