Still Waiting for Inode fixes, ZZZZZZZZ

martin.j.shannon mjs at cbnews.ATT.COM
Thu Dec 7 05:19:58 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec6.023924.1293 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>All you have to do is specify the number of inodes that you require
>on the mkfs command line.

Yes, this is true.

>	mkfs /dev/rdsk/0s4 90000:90000

And that's the right syntax, but....

>Creates a 90,000 block file system with 90,000 inodes.

Except that inode numbers are stored in unsigned shorts, so you can't
ever have more than 65535 of them.  The real limit is probably a few
less than 65535, but I don't have access to any current source to
verify what it *really* is.  A *safe* number would be 65500, I'm quite
sure.
--
Marty Shannon; AT&T Bell Labs; Liberty Corner, NJ, USA
(Affiliation is given for identification only: