Tape backups over TCP/IP (was Re: ISC update)

Michael Borza mike at antel.uucp
Sat Dec 23 02:11:32 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec20.184947.3562 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl at mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>                                                We have a problem with NFS
>which they say will be "fixed in the next release" -- even though it's a
>one-line patch, and we NEED it (root mapping cannot be turned off in ISC's
>NFS, and there is no tape server -- be wary of this if you intend to do
>backups across the net as this currently appears to be IMPOSSIBLE!)

In the meantime, is it not possible to do your backup over raw TCP/IP? I
don't know whether NFS interferes with TCP/IP (I'd be surprised if it
did, but I've never run NFS).  Over TCP/IP, we use something like the
following (run as root on the machine being backed up):

  # find . -depth -print | cpio -oc | \
    su bin -c "/usr/ucb/rsh tape_machine dd ibs=1024k obs=1024k of=/dev/tape"

I realize this isn't exactly what you want, but isn't it a least a
suitable workaround?  (This, of course, completely ignores what I
think is the real, albeit unstated, point of Karl's postings on this
subject: that ISC doesn't fix bugs fast enough to suit him.  My apologies
if I've insulted you or gotten this wrong in some way, Karl.)

mike borza.
--
Michael Borza              Antel Optronics Inc.
(416)335-5507              3325B Mainway, Burlington, Ont., Canada  L7M 1A6