Disks Hang Under 2.0.2 SCSI

neese at adaptex.UUCP neese at adaptex.UUCP
Fri Dec 15 10:44:00 AEST 1989

>This is a followup on a posting I made a couple days ago, about
>being able to easily crash interactive 2.0.2, by reading from
>3 SCSI disks simultaneously (running an aha1542a controller).
>
>I have replicated the crash on a compaq 386/20e.  This was
>sufficient for interactive to "validate" the bug report --
>i.e., they consider it a driver bug.  There is no committment
>on their part to fix it, but the L.A. support person continues
>to be communicative and sympathetic.  Hollis doesn't return
>my phone calls.
>
>We have now come up with a program that will crash 2.0.2 with
>just 2 SCSI disks and 1 SCSI tape.  I suspect that this is a
>more standard configuration.  The tape drive is an archive
>2150s (with ROM revisions as recommended in the interactive
>1.0.6 release notes).  The disks are CDC 94161.  Alas, this
>program takes between 10 minutes and 1 hour to hang the disk
>driver (as opposed to the 3 disk version, which hung the driver
>in < 2 seconds).
>
>Does anyone have experience running the future domain
>controller with 3 or more SCSI disks ?  We are considering
>replacing our SCSI disks with 2 high capacity ESDI disks (> 600
>MB), running the Western Digital wd1007v-se2 (replacement for
>WD1007).  Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with such a
>configuration ?

Just to alleviate any concerns.  The 154x host adapters support up to
the maximum number of SCSI devices you can have (7 targets * 8 LUN's).
This has been verified in many ways.  I have had as many as 6 hard drives
on my SCO 2.3GT system, and ran this test you suppiled with no problems.
I let it run for 2 days.  I expanded it to hit all 6 drives and still
no problems.  Good test though.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese
				uunet!swbatl!texbell!merch!adaptex!neese