ISC ?

William Davidsen davidsen at sungod.crd.ge.com
Tue Dec 5 07:52:50 AEST 1989

In article <111059 at nstar.UUCP> larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

| ISC wasn't working for me - so I called an ordered SCO Xenix 2.3.2.  I
| installed Xenix - and everything overall ran quite well.  I never needed
| to call SCO for technical support - since the manuals were well written
| and combined with the information here on usenet - all of my questions
| were answered.  My Xenix news machine is running too well - and I am bored
| and miss the fast Unix file system (I also heard about how neat rn is as a
| news reader - and want to run rfmail which is a fidonet compatible package
| written for Unix system V).  The Xenix machine runs so well, that if I died
| the machine would keep running as long as the bills were paid.  I went on
| vacation and the machine rebooted, checked the file systems and was back
| on-line within a short period of time re-distributing news.

  Your experience is much the same as mine. When I was ready to go to a
386 UNIX I got evaluation copies of Xenix, ISC, and Microport. I chose
Xenix because it was the most reliable. 2.3.3 is even more of the same,
it just runs and runs. I suppose that I will have to go to straight SysV
someday, and I suspect that it will be SCO again. They, too, have a fast
filesystem (if you turn off the security stuff), and someday that
security might be nice. The SCO development set has the MSC compiler for
286, 286, DOS, and OS/2, as well as pcc for those things which want it.

  ISC X seems to be the best available *today*. Don't quote me in a
month, it may not be true. If you can go ISC upgrade cheaply it may be
the thing to do. If you plan to run a lot of X you should us etheir X,
which I have been told will run under SCO UNIX as well (haven't tried
myself).

  I'm sure that ISC has reliability up now, I talk to a lot of happy
users. Hope you report on what you do. BTW: rn runs fine under Xenix,
but if you have the latest (5.10.010 beta) compiler you will have to
hack it or use the older 2.2 compiler and headers.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen