PerStor Controllers

Roland Dunkerley III orion at nuchat
Fri Dec 22 23:19:09 AEST 1989

I am currently in the process of putting together a
machine, and have seen the ads for the PerStor Disk
controllers claiming to give 190% of the storage on a
standard MFM drive.  The drives I plan to use are a
Seagate ST-251, and an ST-4096.  If this gadget works
it would give me 228Mb instead of the 120 that these
drives provide, with a 9Mbit/s transfer rate instead of
5.  My question is have any of you used the PerStor
controllers, do they really work as advertised on
standard drives with no problems?  What technology do
they use to accomplish this?  I will be running Unix
System V/386 from Bell Tech on this box, has anyone
gotten such a combination to work with BellTech Unix,
or with any other SV/386?  Oh, the release number is
3.0 if that makes a big difference, I had heard that
scsi controllers don't work without the 3.2 update...
As usual, please reply by mail, and if anyone else
wants to know I'll either forward the info to them, or
summarize and follow-up.

   thanx in advance,
    Roland Pleasant Dunkerley III, K.S.C., NonD
    (orion at nuchat.sccsi.com)
    K A T E   B U S H   I S   G O D !