gettydefs that allows to read /etc/issue

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Tue Dec 19 00:15:25 AEST 1989

In article <8912180335.AA06394 at decwrl.dec.com>, paine at fungus.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

> I am running Interactive 386/ix v2.02 Update 5X and I am using gettydefs
> from Update 5X disk and I am running using pointer to TB8-19200 in
> gettydefs.   I get only "login" prompt  and I want to turn on /etc/issue
> for dialin users to read login information.   I have no problem with SCO
> Unix 3.2 but I am using Xenix-like gettydefs.
>
> How can I turn on displaying from /etc/issue?

You shouldn't have to do anything.  As long as the /etc/issue file is
present and readable (since getty is run by root, the file will always
be readable, as long as it is there).

My vanilla 2.0.2 getty works as it is supposed to. You do not need to modify
/etc/gettydefs to turn this on.

If your /etc/issue file is not displaying, try reloading the original
getty that you got with 2.0.2.