COM2 access under ISC 386/ix

fritz zaucker fritzz at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu
Thu Dec 21 04:48:48 AEST 1989

Hi Interactive,

PLEASE put this stuff somewhere into the manuals or make usefull
sysadm scripts.
I really like the scripts because I don't have a lot of experience
with Unix Sys. Adm., but the scripts are buggy and obviously the
ISC people don't use them (or do you have no machine with more then
one seriell port ???).
If you don't want ot improve the scripts (most of them contain a AT&T
copyright note, so I think you didn't do anything with them) then put
the necessary informations into the Operating Systems User's Guide or
somewhere else where one can find it. I don't want to cd and more through
the whole file system to find the necessary informations, which is really
hard for a Unix novice like me.

Now some informations:

To get access to the second seriell port one has to edit the file
/etc/conf/cf.d/sdevice
This file normally contains one line (sometimes two) beginning with
asy. If there are two lines then probably the first has a Y as the next(?)
parameter and the second has a N. Y means Yes, N means No (see the manual
page for sdevice. Change N to Y on the second line and check the rest of the
parameters (interrupts, address, ...).
If there is only one line then copy it and check it.
Build a new kernel and here you go.

Really easy if the manual would tell where to look.

Merry christmas and so on

Fritz Zaucker