ISC disk driver bug? (Was Disks Hang Under 2.0.2 SCSI add WD1006SRV2)

Ira Baxter baxter at ics.uci.edu
Tue Dec 19 06:23:39 AEST 1989

davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>In article <258C899B.28434 at paris.ics.uci.edu> baxter at ics.uci.edu (Ira Baxter) writes:

>| I use a Western Digital WD1006SRV2 (RLL 1-1 track-buffered)
>| controller.  I (and others with 1006s) have seen identical symptoms;
>| until I saw this thread, I assumed there was something funny about the
>| WD1006.  I have been chasing this problem unsuccessfully even with
>| WD's aid.  I conclude the problem is more due to the ISC drivers than
>| the hardware.

>  Karl Denninger posted a note on jumper settings with the 1006 which
>could cure your problem.
>--

There are only two interesting jumpers on a WD1006 according to my WD
documentation: W1-1,2, handling "latched" mode (unfortunately, the
docs *don't* say what this does), and W1-5-6, which disables cache
control.  If the cure is disabling the cache, then the point of buying
the controller was wasted.  I'm waiting for WD to tell me what
"latched" mode does.  In any case, *the ISC drivers* should diagnose a
problem, rather than the system merely hanging, unless "latched" mode
causes the controller to put data in a location not requested by the
driver... which seems impossible, since this controller only does PIO
transfers, and therefore the target addresses in the machine are
controlled by the IN instructions, not the controller.

--
Ira Baxter