2 more Q's about 386/ix

Axel Fischer fischer at utower.gopas.sub.org
Mon Dec 18 23:06:05 AEST 1989

jonm at syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jonathan Meyer) writes:

>Is it possible to run shutdown from anything other than the console VT?
>Sometimes I would like to be able to reboot my system safely from a remote
>login, but can't.

Easy:
	- login from remote
	- make yourself root (via "su" or whatever)
	- cd / ; sync ; sync
	- /etc/init 0

That's it. Your system comes down safely.
But - now user is warned. After "init 0" you have no chance to cancel.

-Axel
--
fischer at utower.gopas.sub.org / fischer at db0tui6.BITNET / fischer at tmpmbx.UUCP
Bang-Europe : ...!{doitcr,gopnbg,tmpmbx}!utower!fischer