Taking risks on software (ISC)

Larry Snyder akcs.larry at nstar.UUCP
Thu Nov 30 09:57:33 AEST 1989

>In article <[25711bb0:160.7]comp.unix.i386;1 at nstar.UUCP> akcs.larry at nstar.UU
CP
>(Larry Snyder) writes:
><>problems with any NEW product. ISC has a very solid product on the market,

><>yet we must expect problems as the product continues to evolve.  If you
><
><I would disagree.  ISC's product does not work as advertised and with the
><poor documentation I consider it not even in the running in it's current
><stage.  I have suggested that my users invest in a real product such as
><SCO 3.2 - since I know they will get support from real people with a
><professional attitude.
> I agree. We are using 386/ix here with lost of problems, most of them
>regarding their TCP/IP package which is really still beta.. (interlan driver

>full of bugs, most utilities don't support /etc/shadow etc.. really silly
>stuff that could be easily corrected..)

I don't believe that I wrote the above which was quoted.

I tried ISC 2.02 and felt it was full of problems, poor documentation,
and promises made by the support department in Hollis which were never kept
and wouldn't suggest anyone purchasing the product.

I would consider ISC Unix 3.2 anything but ready for prime time.

I also would suggest SCO 3.2 - over ISC 3.2 to anyone in the market.

--
Larry Snyder  larry at nstar
Brian at ISC in Hollis, when are we going to get the RA you promised?