SCO 3.2, tset & who am i failure on tty01

Ian Watson ian at hpopd.HP.COM
Wed Nov 22 04:29:56 AEST 1989

Anyone seen this, or can explain it, or have suggestions ?

When I started to get prompted for my TERM type on tty01, I found out that
the 'tset' command wasn't working -- it gives 'unknown', even tho' the first
lines in /etc/ttytype are :
	ansi	console
	ansi	tty01

Also, the 'who am i' command gives no response.  However, a simple 'who'
shows me logged on to tty01.  This suggests to me that 'who am i' uses some
shortcut to find the logged-on user, which 'who' doesn't, and this is
failing.  This would also explain tset's failure, despite the entry in
/etc/ttytype being OK.  'logname' works OK.  Power cycling my machine has no
effect.  The other multiscreens all work fine.

I'm running SCO UNIX 3.2

Thanks,
Ian Watson, HP Pinewood, England.
ian at hpopd.HP.COM