Software License for 386/ix

Martin Weitzel martin at mwtech.UUCP
Fri Nov 10 02:56:12 AEST 1989

Hey all 386/ix-users out there,

anyone of you ever read your ISC's SOFTWARE LICENSE carefully or
is mine a special one. I quote from paragraph one:

	[ 1. LICENSE GRANT. .... You may not network the software or
	otherwise use it on more than one computer terminal the same
	time ...]           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can anybody explain about the second part of that sentence? I have
an 'unlimited users' license! Does this mean, I have to log out, before
I login on another terminal. Or do I even have to kill 'getty' and
take the terminal out of the 'inittab' to be in compliance with the
license :-/. Does this apply to multiscreens on the console too? :-)

Another quote from paragraph two:

	[ 2. COPYRIGHT AND TITLE. ... you may either (a) make one
	(1) copy of the software solely for backup purposes or (b)
	transfer the software to a single hard disk ... ]

Except that this, taken literally, would not allow for the usr-
partition to be installed on a separate drive, there is a a more
serious problem: Given the fact, I backup the root- or usr-partition
on a tape, do I carefully have to *exclude* all ISC-supplied code
from the backups, if I don't want to violate the license?
BTW: Using the backup-selection from the sysadm-menus does *not*
provide for this, so anyone who has ever used it should take a look
to paragraph seven. Again I quote:

	[ 7. TERMINATION: This License ... terminates without notice
	from INTERACTIVE if you fail to comply with any of its
	provisions. Upon termination you shall destroy the software
	....]

So, all of you who backed up your 386/ix with the sysadm-menus, hurry
and destroy your software ...

Or is it, that in these days today the one who writes a license agreement
expects, it will not be taken serious (if it is read at all).

P.S.: The above is meant satirically but I greatly appreciate Borland's
"No Nonsense License Statement".