Using "getpwent" in SYSV/386

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Mon Nov 20 07:37:48 AEST 1989

In article <785 at ctdi.UUCP>, mikei at ctdi.UUCP (Mike Israel) writes:
> I have a question regarding the use of the "C" function
> "getpwent" under AT&T's Unix SYSV/386 Release 3.2.
>
> This particular version of Unix stores encrypted passwords
> in a file called /etc/shadow.  The standard /etc/password field
> for the encrypted password simply contains an 'x'.  Using
> "getpwent" simply retrieves this 'x'.
>
> Is there an existing function to access the encrypted password?

The set of functions used to access the shadow file are named
similar to the getpwent family of functions but use an "sp" instead
of the "pw".  So you have a getspent(), etc.

/usr/include/shadow.h has the structures used by these functions.

I can't find any reference to these functions in the 386/ix, AT&T, or Bell Tech
documentation sets.

Since they seem to be designed to replace the getpwent functions I would
assume that the functionality is the same.