ESIX woes. (serial performance)

Scott E. Garfinkle seg at stubby.UUCP
Fri Nov 17 00:46:52 AEST 1989

>From article <6965 at ficc.uu.net>, by peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva):
> In article <612 at aablue.UUCP> jb at aablue.UUCP (John B Scalia) writes:
> [serial port performance really amazingly bad with TCP up]
>
>> The ESIX people have been of no help; surprise. Is there something in
>> the TCP stuff I need to look for?

The ESIX people were pretty helpful with me.  I called up (I have never yet
had to wait on hold), asked my question, then called back the next day.  They
told me that there seems to be some kind of bug in sendmail that kills the
system.  I haven't had a chance to test this yet (I won't be back home for
a couple weeks), but it sounds like a reasonable explanation.  I was
planning to use smail, anyway.

My only complaint so far is that, contrary to the implication of their ads,
NFS is *not* included with ESIX.  It turns out to be a $550 optional extra,
and doesn't even come with YP support!
	-scott garfinkle