Com Ports and Inode Probs. (AGAIN)

Gordon C. Galligher gorpong at ping.UUCP
Tue Nov 21 15:23:39 AEST 1989

I have two problems, the first one is a new one (I think), the second will
be preceded by a ^L so you can hit 'n'.
	HARDWARE:  80386
	SOFTWARE:  Interactive UNIX 386/ix Version 2.0.1
I have a 386 box from SCI Technology which comes equipped with two COM:
ports.  Originally, I had mistakenly disabled COM2 with a dip-switch.  I
installed UNIX and then changed the dip switch to re-enable COM2.  The
problem is, 386/ix doesn't recognize it.  When I try to access it, or
whatever, I get the "/dev/tty01:  no such device or address" error.  Can
anyone send me a pointer as to what is wrong.  Does something have to be
changed in UNIX to recognize this, or is it supposed to be "automatic".
PLEASE RESPOND BY EMAIL TO:  ...uunet!telxon!ping!gorpong
	DON'T POST, I WON'T GET IT!  (Out of inodes in news partition)

Which brings me to my next problem....

OK, just hit 'n' right now if you're tired of these inode threads which
propagate the net so often.

HARDWARE:  80386
SOFTWARE:  Interactive UNIX 386/ix version 2.0.1
NEWS-SW :  B-news version 2.11
DISK    :  Standard Type 2 20 Megabyte hard drive (just for news)

About a month ago when the last thread of the Inode fixes came on the net I
didn't have a 386, and wasn't running news so I didn't bother to save it :-(.
My MOST HUMBLE apologies for all of you for bringing this up AGAIN, so I
ask that those of you who have applied patches to fix this, if you could
please E-MAIL ONLY to me those fixes, I would greatly appreciate it!  If
there are others of you who would also like this patch, then send mail to
me, and as soon as I get the  responses, I'll immediately (if not sooner)
send it to you!  I understand that you may want a response quicker, but I
don't feel it is necessary to burden the entire net just to rehash this
age-old problem.  If I had any sense of intelligence, I would have saved
them earlier, but then hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20!

Thank you VERY much for your response to either of these problems.  I
really appreciate it.

		-- Gordon.

	....!uunet!telxon!ping!gorpong