Fast parallel driver for Unix/Xenix AT?

Pete Rourke pete at romed.UUCP
Mon Nov 27 07:00:04 AEST 1989

In article <289 at marvin.moncam.co.uk> emmo at moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) writes:
>In article <256ADBB5.19093 at ateng.com>, chip at ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>> [stuff omitted]
>> know.  It's a crying shame to have slow printer output when it's the driver
>> causing the slowdown.
>
>Forget it, the printer itself is usually the bottleneck, there's no point in
>worrying about getting > 1k char/sec to a printer which can only output at
> [stuff omitted]

I am probably entering late in this discussion, but I have the same problem
with the printer output being slow. I have a Compaq 386 portable running XENIX
2.3.2 and it is terribly slow at printing on a HP Laserjet II. The same system
has a DOS partition, and when printing from DOS the speed improves dramatically.Both DOS and XENIX are printing from Microsoft Word 5.

This would implicate that the driver was part of the speed problem.

If others have improved the printer speed, I'd sure like to know how.

--
Pete Rourke                                                ..texbell!romed!pete
MicroAge Technical Support Group                     ..sun!sunburn!mcsitsg!pete