Pic on ISC's 386/ix 2.0.2 locks system hard.

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Tue Nov 28 12:40:33 AEST 1989

In article <LARRY.89Nov27150018 at focsys.uucp>, larry at focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) writes:

> This happened with our 1.0.6 system as well. When ever anyone here
> runs pic (DWB 2.0), our system would lock up so hard, that the only
> recourse was to power off the computer. I had to remove pic.

Not that this is any real help.....

I have Elan's EROFF (which is based upon DWB 2.0, I believe) and originally
used it on Bell Tech's Release 3.1, then 3.2, then moved it to 386/ix 2.0.2.

We have prepared lots of documents using pic to generate some moderately
complex drawings (50+ miscellaneous sized, invisible & visible boxes with
angled connecting lines as an example) and have never had a problem with
the system locking up.  Under the BT OS, we didn't even have a 387 (and it
was just a 16Mhz 386).

If you are doing some serious document preparation using troff, EROFF
definately should be considered.

> I don't have a nice concise roff file that can be used to recreate
> this bug yet, but I should have one soon (It is an expensive bug to
> try to recreate since I must power down, and wait through 15 minutes
> of fsck).

When you do get one, send me a copy & I will try it under EROFF.

--- I'm not affiliated with Elan corp, just a happy customer.