SCO UNIX Development

Willy Paine paine at rust.dec.com
Wed Nov 15 07:25:05 AEST 1989

In article <1603 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM> you write:
>In article <602 at tah386.manhattan.ks.us>, terry at tah386.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) writes:
>
>|  >  How many users are on your SCO UNIX system?
>|  Just me.  The performance is DOWN with UNIX.  When something like
>|  rnews or expire is running in the background, everything else pretty
>|  much comes to a halt.  I am running the Acer Fast file system with
>|  a track buffered Western Digital disk controller board.
>
>  If this is a common problem Xenix may be with us. I was planning to
>upgrade in January, but any less performance would be unacceptable. Do
>other people find that news bogs the machine?

I used to run C News on Interactive 386 and now I am running Xenix/386
with B News.   I think C News would be much better with busy machine
because this allow to run full news batch on specific time (C News' rnews
just move batch to in-comming file directory).  If you still want B News
or any News software, I suggest to get newsfeed during night time.  B
News's rnews will push Xenix down on performance but I think there will
be more problem with new SCO Unix and I will install C News instead of
B News.

I have tested SCO Unix in separate machine and I plan to move this into
busy BBS machine.  My opinion is that SCO Unix is not for everyone.  I
take this because I have alot of experience with System V on the job and
I feel more comfortable with this than Xenix.   Xenix is not a true
System V but this is alot lighter than real System V on saving disk
and memory spaces.   For SCO Unix, I am not happy with SCO adding more
files that I don't really need like MMDF mail, Security, extra copies
of inittab files etc.   I recommend SCO to offer two version: full and
lite version.   As far as I am awared, SCO Unix is better with modem than
Xenix, especially autobauds on Unix while Xenix needs break signals.
I heard many reports that SCO Unix can not run over 9600 bauds but I did
many testing with Telebit with 19200 bauds without any problem.

I will keep post with you on installing News in SCO Unix.

willy
--
%   Willy Paine                      BBS/FAX +1-206-822-4615   %