Online Manual needed (was Re: ISC vs SCO UNIX review)

Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.UUCP
Tue Nov 14 10:45:46 AEST 1989

In article <111055 at nstar.UUCP> larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>In article <36311 at ism780c.isc.com>, support at ism780c.isc.com (Support  account) writes:
}> discussions, we are pleased to advise that the next release of the 386/ix
}> Operating System, release 2.2, due out in Q1 1990, will contain significant
}> documentation improvements.
}
}What will the update policy be for those who have purchased previous
}versions of your product and did not purchase the annual support?  I called
}Brian @ ISC in Hollis and he mentioned that there is no update policy for
}those customers not on annual support or for those running past the
}initial support period of 30 days.  The only option for upgrading is
}to re-purchase the product at the current price.

Sounds like an excellent reason for not buying any ISC products until they
have *everything* working 100%. Otherwise you'll end up having to
re-purchase it every year or so or pay for their annual support as well.

Hm, wonder what marketing droid thought this one up :-)

If ISC really wants to make some hay with their new policy of including man
pages they should probably make them available at a reasonable cost to
previous owners of their software.

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)