ACB-2322B-8 and ISC

William Miskovetz misko at abhg.UUCP
Sun Nov 12 06:59:37 AEST 1989

> adaptec!neese writes:
/* Written 10:47 am  Nov 10, 1989 by adaptex.UUCP!neese in comp.unix.i386 */

> I will soon have a system here, that I will be able to benchmark under
> ISC 2.0.2 and SCO 2.3/3.2UNIX.  I will test the ACB-2372C (RLL)/ACB-2322B
> (10Mbit ESDI)/ACB-2322B-8 (15MBit ESDI)/AHA-154[02]A (SCSI).  I plan to test
> the controllers with like drives (in physical design i.e. same number of
> heads/sectors per track) in like environments (i.e. same buffer cache size,
> clean filesystems).

/* End of text from abhg:comp.unix.i386 */

I have to wish you luck in getting a 2322B-8 working with ISC.  4 months
ago I sent my ACB-2322B-8 controller and my Maxtor 8760E drive to ISC.
They still have it.  They have been unable to get me a system that works
with the drive and controller.  They claim that version 2.2 will support
the drive/controller, but until I see a working version on my system I
am skeptical.  If this sounds a little cynical, it is.  Being without a
$4,000 drive for 4 months and having to roll back from a 760MB drive to
a 60MB drive has made me a little sour.  That and I have owned ISC versions
1.0.5, 1.0.6, and 2.0.2 and have never had ISC running on my system.  That
is well over a year of owning ISC without ever being able to use it.

I do have to thank ISC support.  At least they offered to try to get it
running rather than just telling me I was out of luck, but this was after
months of telling me "it's fixed in 2.0.2".

Bill Miskovetz.
{uunet!lll-winken, daver, pyramid}!abhg!misko
misko at mathworks.com
abhg!misko at lll-lcc.llnl.gov