unix, PCs and SCSI

Paul Guthrie pdg at chinet.chi.il.us
Thu Nov 16 04:23:22 AEST 1989

In article <6700039 at adaptex> neese at adaptex.UUCP writes:
>>Will it be cheaper?
>My philosophy on the cost factor:  If cost is your primary concern, then
>SCSI is a poor choice.

I have to disagree with this.  If you are planning on adding a tape drive,
SCSI will probably be cheaper than going with a RLL or ESDI drive
and controller and tape drive and proprietary controller.  When I
went shopping, the archive 150 meg tape was 900 for the SCSI, and 1800
for the proprietary controller version.  Plus, the SCSI method saves you
an IRQ *and* slot that the tape controller would normally take up
(and that is a *big* consideration on a AT bus).  All in all a clear
win.  Plus I can reuse the hardware if I go to another platform (Suns
150 meg tapes are just archives), etc.  Go with SCSI, you won't
regret it.
--
Paul Guthrie
chinet!nsacray!paul