non AT&T mouse on 6386

Randy Suess randy at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Nov 18 05:15:57 AEST 1989

In article <4823 at cbnewsc.ATT.COM> dwd at cbnewsc.ATT.COM (david.w.dykstra) writes:
>Has anyone tried putting a non-AT&T mouse on a 6386 PC?  I want to use a
>microsoft bus mouse.  I tried both IRQ 2 and IRQ 3, the only two IRQ's
>supported by the mouse driver I have.  I'm running 3.2 unix.

	The AT&T mouse is a Logitech Bus mouse.  I am using a
	Microsoft Bus mouse under OpenLook, but as the MS mouse
	only has 2 buttons, and OL wants 3, there are some problems.
	The trick to using MS mice is to make sure it is the old
	style bus card with the uart onboard.  The newer "soap"
	looking inport one will not work.  It has a specialized
	chip on the card that UNIX don't like.  I have mine set to
	interupt 2.
-randy

--
Randy Suess