Tape backup (DAT)

Peter Renzland peter at ontmoh.UUCP
Wed Nov 15 03:50:48 AEST 1989

Dan Rich (drich at dialogic.UUCP) writes:

>   I am in the process of looking for a tape backup system for our UNIX
> (ISC 386/ix) and MSDos (Novell Netware 286 v 2.15).  Does anyone know
> of a high capacity (> 1Gig) system that will run under both of these?
>
>   I am really interested in DAT, but I can't find any DAT vendors that
> support UNIX.  The only other option that I have seen is 8mm, but I
> have heard that they aren't very reliable.  Can anyone tell me
> otherwise?

Check out:

Archival Storage Devices Inc.
345 Nugget Ave, Unit 22
Scarborough, Ontario
Canada M1S 4J4
416/299-4711 FAX: 416/321-2421

Sphinx DDT-1200/1100 uses 4mm DAT, > 1Gb, SCSI interface,
transfer rate: 192 kb/s

The blurb says UNIX, MSDOS, OS/2, networks, etc.
Price is around $6,000 CDN.

I expect to talk to them next week, and check one out.

--
Peter Renzland @ Ontario Ministry of Health  416/964-9141  peter at ontmoh.UUCP