UNISYS 6000/50, Brain dump please

Jon Bork jon at mitisft.Convergent.COM
Thu Nov 30 12:20:29 AEST 1989

In article <608 at uncle.UUCP>, jbm at uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
> Just got a new job, we have a UNISYS 6000/50. It is a base configuration.
> I have a bunch of "start up" questions:
>
>  1. Any third party availability of "MBUS" memory boards? What other machines
>     are using MBUS?

No, not today. The only boards I know of are the MBUS memory cards. The
U6000/50, 51, 60 are the only systems which use this bus that I know of.
The design concept was to off-load the PC-AT bus so that boards remaining
on the AT bus could fly.

>  2. The 170M SCSI drive is a Micropolis 1375, the 380M they sell is a 1578,
>     Can any SCSI hard drive be used with the proper /usr/lib/iv file?

Yes, from a SCSI point of view. However, your support agreement probably goes
out the window. Drive qualification still involves a great deal of testing
for MTBF and reliability.

>  3. Am I stuck with the Unisys Ethernet board, or are others usable?

Any PC AT ethernet card is installable.

>  5. Where can I get a ksh.

Any ksh compiled on a 386 should work.

>  6. CTIX/386 seems to be a modified Microport, is that correct?

No, CTIX/386 is based on the AT&T System V/386 port with device driver,
file system and command enhancements. The UNIX PC product that was produced
for AT&T by Convergent has a similar O/S, as does the S/Series 68000
systems.

--
Jon Bork
Unisys Network Computing Group     (408)-435-3679