Which 386 Unix offers Vga 256 color X-windows?

Tom Yager tyager at maxx.UUCP
Mon Nov 27 02:57:25 AEST 1989

In article <938 at nemesis.stsci.edu>, krist at stsci.EDU (John Krist) writes:

>   Greetings :
>
>     I'm contemplating putting Unix on my 386 (Arche Rival).  Reading
>   the recent SCO Unix vs 386/ix review in Unix World (or was that
>   Unix review?), they author indicated that neither vendor offers an
>   X-windows which supports 256 colors in the high res VGA and Super-
>   VGA modes.

I hope you're talking about the UNIX Review article. If so, I was the author.

If anybody does it at all, I'd expect ISC to be first. They've got some real
heavyweights in-house doing their VGA support, and between my article and
subsequent consumer response, some pressure has been brought to bear on ISC
to do a 256-color VGA server. This may take some time, and (as a previous
posting mentions), this may all be moot once prices start to come down on
8514/A-compatible intelligent cards.

My advice: Don't hold your breath, and, once you get it, don't expect too
much. It will be DOG slow.
(ty)

--
+--Tom Yager, Technical Editor, BYTE magazine------------------------------+