SYS V R4 - When will it be released for Generic 386 boxes?

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Thu Nov 16 03:18:36 AEST 1989

In article <824 at hsi86.hsi.UUCP>, stevens at hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
|  Anyone know who will ship the first binary release of SVR4
|  for any type of hardware ?  AT&T for the 3B2 ?

  My understandaing is that you can get it for the 3B2, but I haven't
ordered one. You may be able to get it for Sun, as well. INteractive was
demoing 486/ix (V.4 they said) at UNIX Expo, but they said 1Q90 for the
ship date. Looked pretty good to me, but they didn't let me sit down and
TRY to break it.

|  If I, as an end-user, really can't get my hands on it for
|  6-12 months, then all the fanfare about its release last
|  week is really a nonevent.

  I expect to see beta and "early release" versions by the end of the
year. Bear in mind there's no huge demand in the 386 market. People will
let someone else buy the first one, wait for reviews, etc.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon