uugetty in 386/ix

egray at fthood.UUCP egray at fthood.UUCP
Mon Nov 13 12:40:40 AEST 1989

> Hello netland !
>
> I am having a *whole* lot of trouble getting uugetty in the 386/ix
> ver. 2.0.1 to work properly.  I heard that there was a recent discussion
> about ISC uugetty  on this newsgroup which I  missed.
>
> If someone out there has an archive of the discussion or a solution,
> I would be thankful if he/she could e-mail me an update.
>
> Thanks in advance.

One of the not-quite-so-obvious requirments is that uugetty wants full
modem control on the port.  My version of ISC (actually from Dell) did
come with the devices configured for both "normal" and "modem control",
although the driver supports them both.  To fix, I created the devices
/dev/ttym0 and /dev/ttym1 with minor device numbers 16 for ttym0, and 17
for ttym1

Another misprint in the documentation leads you to beleive that the
line in /etc/inittab should read:

	01:2345:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty /dev/ttym01 2400

But uugetty actually uses the first argument to create the lock file,
so that the "/dev/" part of "/dev/ttym01" will screw things up.  I have
mine set as:

	01:2345:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -t 60 ttym01 2400

Emmet P. Gray				US Army, HQ III Corps & Fort Hood
...!uunet!uiucuxc!fthood!egray		Attn: AFZF-DE-ENV
fthood!egray at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu		Directorate of Engineering & Housing
					Environmental Management Office
					Fort Hood, TX 76544-5057