Key-toggle problem ISC 386/ix 2.0.2 with VP/ix

David E. Walp walp at hdchq.UUCP
Tue Nov 28 05:44:10 AEST 1989

> In article <PCG.89Nov20120912 at emerald.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg at emerald.cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
> >
> >If I were your CEO I would fire you straight away. If your
> >company demands the best from you, why are you using any software
> >product that is explicitly described as not guaranteed fit for
> > (Babble deleted)
>
> Thank goodness that you are NOT the CEO of ANY large or small corporation!
> (Constructive stuff deleted)
>
> I'm sorry but working under the "no risk" umbrella that you have portrayed
> would be like working  in the dark ages.  Any one want to go back to CPM?
>
> _
> Mark Hilliard  N2HHR
> rutgers!rochester!kodak!gizzmo!mark

I am the "CEO" in question (actually 2nd in command) and need to set
some of this straight.  We are using/trying to use 386/ix and VP/ix
to do real work and to develop sufficient expertise to market ourselves
to those who would entertain migration to UNIX platforms but who still
need/want their familiar DOS tools.  We feel strongly that the avail-
ability of user friendly tools will increase on UNIX, but it clearly
is difficult to migrate today.  UNIX does supply a cost effective
alternative to lans, but VP/ix is necessary as a bridge, and will be
for some time to come.  (I hope that the DOS based developers are
moving as rapidly as they say they are towards native UNIX products!)

Regarding the keyboard toggling problem with VP/ix.  What has gotten lost
is that the problem is occurring as often as every second or third key-
stroke!!  Try unplugging your keyboard on every third key hit!!  I do
not understand how ISC can seriously believe that we can wait until
January for this bug fix!!  We have a pretty serious investment in
ISC products and are trying to remain in the UNIX fold, but when the
product (VP/ix) goes backwards from release to release it is very
difficult to maintain the faith.  Is there anyone out there who
is comfortable with waiting for three months for a priority one
bug fix ??!!  And, unless the state of the art has improved since
I started 21 years ago, the new release will be less than perfect.
It is getting more difficult to get the CEO and the DOS-only camp
to accept the continuing delays in integrating the UNIX products
into our evolving "enterprise wide" network along-side 3-Com and
Novell.

Other than the vexation with VP/ix, our experience with the 386/ix
product has been very positive.  UNIX itself is very good and fast.
X windows is solid, and we expect to be in the ISC camp for a long
time.  I just need relief for the interim period.

--
Dave Walp
V.P. Products