ISC 386/ix

kirk moore kmoore at shiloh.UUCP
Mon Nov 20 01:44:21 AEST 1989

I have listened very intently to the discussions and flames that have been passed around about ISC. I thought to add my two cents, (really inflation and all). I have been up and running ISC 2.0.2, Vpix 1.1.1, a developers system for about 4 months. The following will give you a idea as to my opinion about ISC and SCO.

I was, repeat was a SCO loyal. I ate, breathed and loved SCO. Unitl i went to upgrade my system. I am a small company, so I wanted to do this in steps. I had Xenix 286 2.2. Since purchansing that product, I moved into a 386-20, 1 240 scsi(7000fasst), 1 383 esdi, 4 meg of memory. I had the SCO on a 286 doing development. I called SCO and asked about upgrades. What I had wanted to do was upgrade the OS, then upgrade the Development system. I spent 1 week, high blood pressure, lots of tums not getting anywher

e. I was asking 1 simple question: "If I upgrade my OS now to 386 2.3 will my 286 development system run until i purches the 386 2.3 development system. I got 6 different answers, upto, "why would you do that".

It was at that point I started looking for a new operating system. A freind told me that last year at COMDEXs he had seen a company called Interactive that had a product in the AT&T vain. So I called. I got ahold of a person named Mary Taple, it had to be the greatest conversation that I ever had. They agreed to send me a eveluation copy for 30 days free. They gave me untold support. I had there help in getting the 7000fasst card up. They helped in the serial problems. They have helped me get up and runnin

g to a point that I really have a first class system running. This site has been up and running for 4 months and I am pleased to say that I recommend the product to all my users, clients, and people looking into a Unix solution.

For those of you that have problems, all I can say is that they have treated a small company, (ME), with alot of respect. They have been able to give the level of support that makes given support to my customers a pleasure.

As for SCO, this has never been the case. I have had to deal with people that really should have kept thier mouth shut. I am not a guru, or a wizard. I am just a developer that has high expectations from a product that cam take two months operating exspences in fell swoop. From SCO that has never been froth coming. From ISC, they have never failed to help. I have never purchesed support, but Erick, Brain, Debbie, have never refused a call. SCO was in the habit of never returning calls when I had support (3

0 day).

There is just a differance between the way they do business. I have dealt with Kodak in other areas, they have always been very profesional. I can see that this tradition has not escaped Interactive.

I really am sorry for the long post, but after the fires and flames that have been leveled at ISC, some of which I feel are unfair. I felt that a post from someone that had good experances would be nice.

The following is a list of what this system is currently running:
386-20 spring board (cloan)
4.0 meg of memory
240 meg scsi (7000fasst)
383 meg esdi (western digital flavor)
computone Atvantage$ 8
3 2400 buad modems
1 logitech mouse (bus)

Just a side note. When I had to build the kernel to support the scsi (7000fasst) is not supportted, Erik, and Brain spent several hours helpping me out. Since the drivers came from a different company, they could not help with those. With items that related to ISC, they were more that able and ready.