SCO UNIX Development

Terry Hull terry at tah386.manhattan.ks.us
Sun Nov 12 10:25:44 AEST 1989

In article <914 at fiver.UUCP> palowoda at fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:

>  Is the development system out?
The development system is available now.  I am using it, and in general
like it a lot.  It does have some problems, like no floating-point
in CodeView.  Also, the cvtomf dumps core on some GNU Emacs files.

>  What do the owners think of the price/perfomance ratio?
I think it is about the same as SCO XENIX.  UNIX costs more and you get
more.

>  How many users are on your SCO UNIX system?
Just me.  The performance is DOWN with UNIX.  When something like
rnews or expire is running in the background, everything else pretty
much comes to a halt.  I am running the Acer Fast file system with
a track buffered Western Digital disk controller board.

>  Do they all use the X-windows that comes with it?
Yes, I use it, but you need X windows for DOS and Ethernet to
support X users.

>  Now that ATT and Sun is going to release UNIX 4.0 real soon is
>  SCO going to have a 4.0 release?
I assume so.  I also assume it will be quite a while before 4.0
materializes.  Look how long it took to get a R3 version of SCO. . .

>  Does Codeview work with the PCC compiler?
Nope.  It will only work with x.out files

>  Is the fast file system the same as ISC's?
Nope.  It is not the same and I do not know how they compare.

PS.  It is nice to be back reading c.u.x.  I've been swamped for
about the last month so news went out the window.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University